Excellent opportunity to join an already impressive team. A potential career maker for a talented engineer. Feel free to reach out to me directly on LinkedIn for a confidential discussion
This Client is building the next generation of capabilities that powers our merchant-first ecosystem. The radical and responsible delivery of value is our mandate. We believe that focused and empowered teams can do great things.
You'll find that we're a curious, driven, and pragmatic bunch who believe in outcomes over outputs, and we're looking for like-minded individuals to join us on our journey.
What we're obsessive about:
- Small teams, big things: We'll convey the outcomes our merchants require, provide you with the support and tools to succeed, and then we let you work your magic, with no needless processes to get in your way.
- Develop, grow, thrive: We promote a philosophy where you can develop and grow as an individual and team. We encourage you to approach problems in unique ways, try new techniques, learn from your colleagues and master your craft.
- Real people, real problems: We develop solutions to solve real-world challenges faced by our merchants. Our Team Members collaborate to build the right things the right way. We are curious about how things work, and we believe that sharing ideas and insights leads to better, more innovative products.
The SSE II is responsible for the design and development of backend, service, and portal systems that reside on our payment processing platforms. As part of a dynamic and exciting development centre, the SSE II will engage with a variety of frameworks, libraries, and services, while utilising state-of-the-art software techniques.
The role is responsible for working in a variety of different situations and types of projects, ranging from a team of one to a team of many. Our working environment empowers software engineers and lets them focus on the technical challenges of solving problems, rather than dealing with bureaucracy or inefficient processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand merchant and partner needs, problems, and expectations and take action to address expectations through high quality, innovative solutions that deliver value to our customers.
- Improve the software development process, methodologies, and tools through applied experience, automation, and simplification.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure that deliverables are technically accurate and useful on time - we build quality into all stages of the software lifecycle, with a focus on end-user observable (and testable) system behaviours.
- Identify critical activities & tasks on projects, help with estimation and planning, ensure timely and accurate communication of status, resolution of issues, and contribute beyond assigned tasks - adjusting priorities when appropriate.
- Develop systems using efficient, secure and clear code following industry and company standards.
- Assist with software deployment activities to internal test environments and our production data centres - the team is responsible for Requirements Analysis through to Release.
- Be proactive, self-motivated, attentive to detail, with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Be a team player and role model, exhibiting a professional attitude, building work relationships, demonstrating flexibility, and supporting workplace ethics.
- 5-8 years in a Software Engineering position.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field.
- Understanding of Linux development, database design and development
- Understanding of both public and private cloud compute and networking stacks
- Experience in server-side product development with Java.
- Expertise with Design Patterns, Refactoring, OO Design, and related areas.
- Experience working with JPA2 and Hibernate, preferably with MySQL 5.7+ with InnoDB
- REST API design and implementation with Java, working knowledge of JAX-RS & RESTEasy
- Experience developing secure web-applications, preferably in a PCI-DSS setting.
- Expected to be self-starters who can operate well under a variety of different situations and types of projects, ranging from a team of one to a team of many.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organisational skills.
- Proven experience translating Business Requirements into solutions.
- Aware of the applicability of new technologies.
- Must be proactive, self-motivated, attentive to detail, and able to work well under pressure.
- Excels at grasping existing code and identifying opportunities to improve and to integrate with existing code.
- Effective and comfortable working with high-level management.
- Strong communication skills.
- Unlimited Holidays
- Private Medical Insurance for the employee (assuming UK residency)
- Life Assurance (4x salary)
- Income Protection (75% of salary until state retirement age)
- Work From Home allowance (£60/month with £26 tax free per HMRC rules)
- One time Home Office setup allowance (£500)
- Pension Contributions (currently 3% but working to achieve 5%)
- Co-working space day or month passes if you need time with other humans
- Fully Remote