Senior Accountant - Band 8b - Belfast
VANRATH are pleased to be recruiting for a Senior Accountant for a target employer based in Belfast (hybrid working). The role is to add capacity to the finance team during a busy period. This role could lead to extension thereafter and ideally the appointment will commence immediately with a full handover provided to the successful candidate. Our client are a large, public sector body in the City Centre who can offer long term flexibility and the potential of a permanent role further down the line.
Reporting to the Head of Finance, duties will be as follows:
- Maintaining effective financial control within allocated Directorates and the services provided within that Directorate including inputting into the Financial Strategy and Financial Plan, financial performance monitoring and reporting and the development of savings plans.
- Providing finance information and support to the accountability review process including monitoring in-year financial performance and forecast against the overall Financial Plan.
- Forecasting information for their Directorates to support completing the mid-year financial assessment.
- The post holder will be responsible for and lead on the information required for the monthly Financial
- Performance Reports to the Board for their Directorates.
- Providing expert financial advice on the development and implementation of the relevant savings and contingency plans and to identify areas for efficiencies within their Directorates to support the overall breakeven plan for the organisation.
- The post holder will be responsible for and lead on the early identification of threats to the financial stability of the organisation by identifying risks within Directorates and agreeing corrective measures.
- Providing a comprehensive Financial Management service to specified Directorates, including the full production of monthly financial performance reports and budget statements in accordance with pre-determined timetables, policies and procedures.
- Providing monthly financial performance reports and forecasts, analysing expenditure, activity trends and variances and to ensure that Directorates Senior Management Team and Heads of Service are continuously and fully appraised on the financial position for their services.
- Providing high quality advice and development of controls to support meeting targets on all financial issues relating to reform, modernisation and efficiency plans, service strategies, service development and revenue business cases, cash releasing, contingency/recovery plans, savings plans, cost pressures and revenue consequences of capital development proposals relevant within Directorates.
- Development, monitoring, measurement and reporting of key financial performance targets for their Directorates with an emphasis on continuous improvement and meeting the break-even organisational target.The post holder will be required to apply discretion and imitative in applying overall service policy changes issued in financial reporting standards (IFRS) in order to advise on clear operational goals, policies and standards for their Directorates. The post holder will also need to ensure that relevant staffs in their Directorates are aware of and abide by these policies and standards.
- The post holder will be responsible for and lead on a risk analysis of the financial position for their Directorates to identify any corrective action required, including issues to be addressed by the Directorates Senior Management Teams.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Full membership of one of the five professional accounting institutes within the CCAB, or CIMA.
- A minimum of 2 year post qualifying experience in a senior management role in a complex organisation
- A minimum of 2 years' experience within the last 6 years of having managed teams of staff within a complex organisation and be able to demonstrate a proven track record of achieving results through others;
- Meeting a full range of key targets with evidence of having made significant improvements
- Worked with a diverse range of stakeholders, both internal and external to the organisation, to achieve successful outcomes for a minimum of 2 years
- Successfully demonstrated high level people management, governance, leadership and organisational skills for a minimum of 2 years
- Hold a current full driving licence which is valid for use in the UK and have access to a car on appointment. This criteria will be waived in the case of applicants whose disability prohibits driving but who have access to a form of transport approved by the Trust which will permit them to carry out the duties of the post
For further information on this vacancy, or any other Interim Accountancy appointment in Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Robbie Lemon in the strictest confidence.