Industrial Worker Pig Systems Research Unit -
Livestock Production Sciences Branch
VANRATH are delighted to be working in partnership with the Agrifood and Biosciences Institute to hire Industrial Worker within their Livestock Production Sciences branch based in Hillsborough.
This is a permanent, full-time role. Working hours are Monday to Friday with Flexitime options.
Livestock Production Sciences Branch
The aims of the Branch are to develop and sustain an integrated research effort with national and international recognition in sustainable livestock production and welfare systems, thereby
- developing sustainable practices within a competitive industry
- providing a scientific basis for government policy and
- enhancing the quality of the environment.
The work of the Branch links fundamental science to systems level research to deliver innovations for the agri-food sector and scientific knowledge in ways that assist policy makers and industry partners. An innovative approach is taken linking large-scale applied research studies undertaken on farms across Northern Ireland to strategic research and development at AFBI Hillsborough and further to more fundamental research in partnership with other AFBI Branches and external research organisations.
The duties of the post are likely to include the following:
- Feeding pigs, including preparing rations to specific requirements. Ration preparation requires good numeracy skills.
- Operation of computerised feeding systems for sows, gilts, growing and finishing pigs.
- Maintaining high animal health and welfare standards, including identifying and treating sick animals, routine health management, vaccination, assisting veterinary practitioners. Adherence to strict bio-security protocols is essential. This prohibits contact with any pigs outside of AFBI.
- Fertility management, including heat detection, artificial insemination, pregnancy scanning, assistance at farrowing, and ensuring the health, welfare and performance of pigs from birth through to weaning and finishing stages.
- General livestock management and husbandry duties, for example, teeth clipping, tail docking, weighing pigs at all production stages including slaughter selection.
- Recording detailed herd health and management details, both electronically and hard copy, as appropriate. Assisting scientific staff to take measurements, and occasionally involved in collecting samples within experiments. Training will be given as required. Completion of personal licence training in compliance with the Animal scientific procedures act will be required.
- Maintaining overall cleanliness and tidiness of the pig units, including cleaning and disinfecting animal accommodation, brushing, power hosing, Slurry management/ release of slurry from housing as required for spreading by farm staff.
- Driving licence would be desirable.
- All types of general farm duties, and any other duties that may arise within other units.
- All duties to be undertaken in compliance with AFBI policies, including Health and Safety Policies and Dignity at Work policy.
The Ideal Person
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have at least 12 months experience of working with a pig herd in the last 5 years; and in particular, experience of working with modern feeding technologies.
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have experience in heat detection, AI, pregnancy scanning and farrowing sows;
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have experience of recording herd management information.
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have experience of using information technology packages such as Word and Excel.
Salary & Benefits
- £22,519.00 per annum
- Unbeatable pension
- 37 days annual leave (including statutory and public holidays)
- A range of other public sector benefits!
For further information on this vacancy, or any other Built Environment roles in Belfast or wider Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Chris Haddock in the strictest confidence.