Industrial Worker - Livestock Production Sciences Branch
VANRATH are delighted to be working in partnership with the Agrifood and Biosciences Institute to hire Industrial Worker within their Livestock Production Sciences branch based in Hillsborough.
This is a permanent, full-time role. Working hours are Monday to Friday with Flexitime options.
Livestock Production Sciences Branch
The aims of the Branch are to develop and sustain an integrated research effort with national and international recognition in sustainable livestock production and welfare systems, thereby
- developing sustainable practices within a competitive industry
- providing a scientific basis for government policy and
- enhancing the quality of the environment.
The work of the Branch links fundamental science to systems level research to deliver innovations for the agri-food sector and scientific knowledge in ways that assist policy makers and industry partners. An innovative approach is taken linking large-scale applied research studies undertaken on farms across Northern Ireland to strategic research and development at AFBI Hillsborough and further to more fundamental research in partnership with other AFBI Branches and external research organisations.
The duties of the post are likely to include the following:
- Daily pre-operation checks on different machines used, tractors, car/jeeps, Counterbalance Forklift, Lorry, ATV and Gator.
- Driving land-rovers, cars and pickups plus attached assorted trailers (licence permitting) belonging to AFBI on public roads, when going to the different sites, farm walks and events.
- Operating a large range of farm equipment such as Haldrup, Kubota mower, Trailers, sprayers, Fertiliser Spreader, Power Harrows, Plough, Rotavator, Field Rollers, Grass Mowers, Seed Drills/Air Seeders, Grass Topper.
- Using GPS for sowing fertiliser, spraying, seed drills.
- Working the land to sow and harvest cereals, grass, and clover: ploughing, sowing, spraying, fertilising, and combining.
- Manual work using brush, shovel, power hose, strimmer, leaf blower, hedge trimmer.
- Assisting scientific staff in a range of duties for the purposes of taking measurements and preparing the land.
- Keeping appropriate records both paper and electronic and following prescribed procedures in relation to working practices, adherence to Health and Safety measures and ISO 9001
- Maintenance of farmyard cleanliness, buildings/sheds
- Repair and maintenance of site.
The Ideal Person
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have at least 12 months experience during the last 5 years of working in an agriculture environment and driving large 4wd tractors 110hp+.
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have experience of silage making operations.
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have experience of mixing and spreading slurry.
- Have a full driving licence which enables the holder to drive a car in Northern Ireland.
Salary & Benefits
- £22,519.00 per annum
- Unbeatable pension
- 37 days annual leave (including statutory and public holidays)
- A range of other public sector benefits!
For further information on this vacancy, or any other Built Environment roles in Belfast or wider Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Chris Haddock in the strictest confidence