Industrial Worker - Grassland & Plant Sciences Branch
VANRATH are delighted to be working in partnership with the Agrifood and Biosciences Institute to hire Industrial Worker within their Grassland & Plant Sciences Branch based in Crossnacreevy.
This is a permanent, full-time role. Working hours are Monday to Friday with Flexitime options.
Grassland & Plant Sciences Branch
The Grassland & Plant Science Branch underpins DAERA's policy development for long-term sustainable and profitable farming, rural development and supports the broader Agri-Food Industry in Northern Ireland.
Grassland & Plant Science Branch is split across three sites (Newforge,
Crossnacreevy and Loughgall), with distinct roles. The national grass breeding
programme, horticulture, and compost unit are located in Loughgall.
The duties of the post are likely to include the following:
- Daily pre-operation checks on different machines used, tractors, car/jeeps, Counterbalance Forklift, Lorry, ATV and Gator.
- Driving land-rovers, cars and pickups plus attached assorted trailers (licence permitting) belonging to AFBI on public roads, when going to the different sites, farm walks and events.
- Operating a large range of farm equipment such as Haldrup, Kubota mower, Trailers, sprayers, Fertiliser Spreader, Power Harrows, Plough, Rotavator, Field Rollers, Grass Mowers, Seed Drills/Air Seeders, Grass Topper.
- Using GPS for sowing fertiliser, spraying, seed drills.
- Working the land to sow and harvest cereals, grass, and clover: ploughing, sowing, spraying, fertilising, and combining.
- Manual work using brush, shovel, power hose, strimmer, leaf blower, hedge trimmer.
- Assisting scientific staff in a range of duties for the purposes of taking measurements and preparing the land.
- Keeping appropriate records both paper and electronic and following prescribed procedures in relation to working practices, adherence to Health and Safety measures and ISO 9001
- Maintenance of farmyard cleanliness, buildings/sheds
- Repair and maintenance of site.
The Ideal Person
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have at least 12 months experience during the last 5 years of working in an agriculture environment and driving large 4wd tractors.
- Be able to demonstrate at least 12 months experience of ploughing or using sprayers during the last 5 years.
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have at least 12 months experience in the care, cultivation, and breeding of crops during the last 5 years.
- Be able to demonstrate, by way of examples, that they have at least 12 months in the maintenance of farm machinery during the last 5 years
- Have a full driving licence which enables the holder to drive a car in Northern Ireland.
Salary & Benefits
- £22,519.00 per annum
- Unbeatable pension
- 37 days annual leave (including statutory and public holidays)
- A range of other public sector benefits!
For further information on this vacancy, or any other Built Environment roles in Belfast or wider Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Chris Haddock in the strictest confidence.