Environmental Health Officer (Public Sector)
VANRATH are excited to be working closely to support with the role of a Environmental Health Officer (Public Sector) for a well established client within the local authority. This is initially a 6 month assignment, which has scope for extension for the right candidate!
The post holder may be required to perform additional or different duties reasonably assigned by the Head of Service or Environmental Health Manager from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices. The post holder may be required to work in any of the sections within the Environmental Health Service.
- To carry out the full range of enforcement, investigative, educational, promotional, consultative and advisory duties associated with the responsibilities of the Environmental Services Department in accordance with any departmental work programmes which exist as required by the Environmental Health Managers.
- To act in the absence of the Environmental Health Manager as necessary and to deputise as directed.
- To provide information and assistance to members of the public, elected representatives and various statutory and non-statutory bodies. Participate in partnerships at a local and regional level aimed at tackling health inequalities and improving health and well-being within the community.
- In conjunction with the EHM determine the most appropriate course of legal or non-statutory action in line with the enforcement policy and to make recommendations as necessary. Prepare and serve legal notices, present prosecution cases and attend Court/other hearings/public enquiries/appeals as required.
- Develop guidance and written procedures to achieve continuous improvement in the quality of service. Contribute to the delivery of the unit business plan, and assist in the preparation of reports and recommendations for presentation.
- Prioritise daily work demands to ensure that all relevant agreed targets are achieved to ensure that a quality, customer focused environmental health service is delivered. To carry out duties outside normal working hours as are necessary for the satisfactory efficient delivery of the Environmental Health Service, in accordance with an agreed policy on Lone Working.
- To deal with hostile and confrontational situations, including the diffusion of same on a professional basis using a range of communication skills.
- To undertake such training as required (including essential CPD training) in order to maintain up-to-date knowledge of professional, technical and legislative development across the range of Environmental Health disciplines as well as in relation to departmental and Client's wide policies and procedures. To participate in the training of existing staff, new staff, BSc (Environmental Health) degree students and other persons assigned for training or work experience.
- A third level qualification (for example, an HNC, HND, NVQ Level 4, Degree) or equivalent in Environmental Health.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.
- 2 years' relevant experience in a field directly related to Environmental Health.
- An awareness of political sensitivities and the ability to maintain an unbiased approach and a positive public relations image.
- A working knowledge and experience of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Project.
- Hold a full & current UK driving licence and access to a vehicle.
Circa £31,265 plus pension, holiday pay and discount benefits.
For further information on this vacancy, or any other Public Sector jobs in Belfast or wider Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Mark O'Hare.
Follow VANRATH on LinkedIn for:
Expert career advice. The latest Top Jobs. Industry News. And much more…