Assistant Scientific Officer - Parasitology
VANRATH are delighted to be recruiting a Assistant Scientific Officer to support a large scientific public sector client in their upcoming research projects.
The role will initially run for 3-6 months, with a high chance of extension and progression routes for the right candidate.
Full time, 37.5 hours a week Mon - Fri.
£11.70 p/h + holiday pay + pension
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum of 5 GCSE's including a science subject
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be beneficial
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Effective communication skills
A public sector parasitology lab offers a diagnostic service for veterinary practitioners across the island. This unit tests a large number of samples each year for Trichinella and Echinococcus multilocularis surveillance.
- Collection, sorting and opening of Parasitology post.
- Data input (logon) of samples into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Clear labelling of samples.
- Carry out a broad range of parasitology techniques, such as routine processes of Fecal Egg Count (FEC) diagnostic work and statutory testing for Trichinella and Echinococcus.
- Ability to work as part of a team delivering diagnostic results within the branch turn-around times.
- Work to standards required by ISO9001 and ISO17025
- Disposal of laboratory waste and responsibility for routine cleanliness, calibration and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation.
- Adherence to health and safety regulations and good laboratory practices for microbiological laboratories.
- Any other duties as required.
For further information on this vacancy, or any other scientific or data roles in Belfast or wider Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Aoife O'Kennedy in the strictest confidence.
028 90 330 250