Assistant Scientific Officer
VANRATH are delighed to be recruiting a Assistant Scientific Officer to support our scientific public sector client in their upcoming research in Histology.
The role will initially run for 3-6 months, with a high chance of extension and progression routes for the right candidate.
37.5 hours a week
Mon - Fri.
£11.70 p/h (+ holiday pay, pension & benefits)
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in Histology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Biological Sciences, or related subject.
- General science background would be beneficial
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be beneficial
- Collection, checking and log on of samples from the post mortem room, recording any non-conformances and alerting the Lab Manager.
- Upon return of the prepared stained slides, check each case / slides received against the transfer sheet and update the records. The slides are sent with the associated worksheet to the case VRO promptly. Any non-conformances to be raised with the section manager / VRO.
- Ability to work as part of a team delivering diagnostic results within specific time schedules.
- Prepare histological worksheets and transfer sheets and cross-check these carefully before cassettes are sent in approved containers key labs on agreed days. Emailing advance lists (transfer sheets) of case and related cassette numbers to nominated colleagues. Update log books on a daily basis
- Adherence to health and safety regulations for histological and bacteriological laboratories
- Maintenance of laboratory records. This involves working with Excel spreadsheets, scanning, filing and emailing paperwork to clients. Monitoring and maintenance of records and storage systems e.g. Autoclave log, waste disposal records etc.
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables and chemicals in the laboratory by informing the section manager or from 'in house' stores.
- Autoclaving and disposal of laboratory waste with responsibility for routine cleanliness in the work area.
- Following training, assist when required in other work areas including bacteriology, parasitology, reception and telephone answering.
This list is not exclusive and the successful candidate will be required to carry out other duties as allocated by management
For further information on this vacancy, or any other scientific or data roles in Belfast or wider Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Aoife O'Kennedy in the strictest confidence.