Assistant Scientific Officer VANRATH are delighted to be recruiting a Assistant Scientific Officer to support our scientific public sector client in their upcoming research projects.
The role will initially run for 3-6 months, with a high chance of extension and progression routes for the right candidate.
Full time, 37.5 hours a week Mon - Fri.
£11.70 p/h + holiday pay + pension
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Biological Sciences, or related subject. Practical experience of microbiology and molecular biology.
- BCG vaccination.
- Experience of conducting microbiological isolation and identification of bacterial pathogens at Containment Levels 2 and/or CL3 levels would be an advantage.
- Demonstrable experience of team working, with flexibility, accuracy and problem solving abilities are required to produce consistent high quality data for diagnostic schemes.
- Proficient in laboratory work to support traditional and specialist microbiology.
- Experience at bio-containment levels 2 and 3 would be an advantage.
- Willing to undergo Occupational Health Checks.
- Sample reception, preparation, processing, data checks and validation, bacteriological and cell-culture and waste management.
- This is a critical post that is based in Molecular TB and delivers the following priority functions:
- Approx. two thirds of time spent on Stat TB strain typing
- Approx one third of time spent on developing WGS pipelines and delivery of E&I projects supporting this function.
- Statutory, analytical and research work on the major bacterial pathogens of animal and public health significance.
For further information on this vacancy, or any other scientific or data roles in Belfast or wider Northern Ireland, please apply via the link below or contact Aoife O'Kennedy in the strictest confidence.
028 90 330 250